Image c/o Google Plus
The school was established on June 19, 1902 with 25 students mostly from the towns of Cavite, San Roque and Caridad. However, classes could not start because of cholera, the buildings in bad condition, there were no desks, and building was unsanitary because it was used as a pig pen. Then Principal Sydney K. Michelle and Mr. Hammond H. Buck raised 100 pesos for the needed repairs. On July 1, 1902, the school became operational with 30 students. On September 1, it became 61 and in November, it became 80.
In 1903, Cavite High School transferred to an old but spacious disputed government land where a Spanish hospital stands. Student population continued to increase and during the same year, a debating society was organized among the advanced students. Also, in 1904 and in 1905 respectively, a baseball team and a track and field team was established. The Supreme Court however ordered that the land be returned to the Catholic Church. Again, the school had to relocate at P. Gomez st. where the Spanish Provincial Governor used to reside. In 1908, the High School saw its first five graduates, four males and one female. In 1928, the school had to move to Caridad Preparatory before transferring to its present lot, a sprawling 6-hectare lot located donated by Caridad Estate of Cavite, Inc. through Mr. Hammond Buck who was engaged in the Bureau of Education prior to being engaged in real estate.
The 2-2 Plan, the new curriculum, was implemented in 1957 under the then Principal Jose T. Bernal. Back then, Junior and Senior High School students were given the choice whether they preferred vocational, college preparatory or an elective curriculum.
Junior students were often sent to Cavite Naval Operating Base (now Cavite Naval Base) for their on-the-job training. They could choose mechanical repairs, machinery operations, practical electricity, welding, sheetmetal, shipfitter, pipefitter or foundry. Boys underwent woodworking courses which were done in the school shop while girls underwent hair science and dressmaking and design courses in the Home Economics Laboratory.
Republic Act No. 3694 converted Cavite High School into Cavite National High School as approved by President Diosdado Macapagal on June 22, 1963. The budget appropriated for such purpose was P250,000.00. In school year 1973-1974, student population was 5,959 while there were 207 teachers and employees.
The school admits more than 1,500 new freshmen students from elementary schools in the city as well as in neighboring towns. The present student population is almost 7,000 and there are more than 500 in the school's annex, Cavite National High School - Annex (Now Sangley Point National High School).
Commemorative Centennial Celebration Stamp